Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Some thoughts on scope

A very generalized proposal... VERY preliminary!

"My masters research project will be a visualization of bone cancer and pain. Particularly, I will be looking closely at events that occur at the cellular level that lead to increased pain perception in patients. I will look at how tumour growth stimulates mechanoreceptors, how factors released by tumour and host cells activate chemoreceptors, and how decreased pH in the tumour environment increases nociceptor sensitivity. I will also touch upon the more long-term changes that occur to the primary afferent neurons. In consideration of the intended complexity of the project, I will likely not go further than the level of the spinal segment.


I intend for the animatic to be usable as a teaching aid that will be geared towards university students and the scientific community. Currently, I plan to use a combination of 2D and 3D rendered animation sequences. I believe that a sequence of 2D images may be sufficient to introduce the piece and effectively explain the more gross anatomical parts of the science than. 3D animations will be use to navigate through the tumour environment and visualize the many interactions occurring at this level."

No comments: