Thursday, July 16, 2009

Act One - Osteoid cells

New thought!

Instead of the pan up to reveal the tumour mass (seen in "Act One - Transition from prologue") after the prologue, there should be an intro of the osteoblasts and osteoclasts. The introduction won't be too detailed; we'll only mention that there is a balance achieved by the two cells types. Blasts do one thing, the clasts do another.

Figure 1 will be the scene that bridges the prologue and the first act. After this scene, we see the tumour mass, and I think after seeing the tumour mass, we would revisit the osteoblasts and clasts and see how their functions are altered.

FIGURE 1.

Talking to Dr. Mongeau yesterday clarified some of the questions I raised earlier about the appearance of osteoblasts when active and inactive. They are indeed spindle shaped when inactive, and they are virtually undetectable during this state. When active however, they balloon up to appear like a row of cuboidal cells. I chose to make them appear like translucent balloons. Note also the red coloured osteoclasts with multiple nuclei sitting in Howship's Lacunae... I definitely need to draw them larger next time!

FIGURE 2. Osteoblastic caviar...

I'm still not sure if they grow while mainting volume, or if they acquire volume when they enlarge. I figure people just... don't know... Hooray for artistic interpretation...!

No comments: