In the low pH,
acid-sensing ion channels
cause nerves
to readily depolarize.
Constant activation of these channels
lead to gradient imbalances,
priming neurons for spontaneous firing.
With the hypersensitization
of these nociceptors,
chronic pain settles in.
Approximate run time: 22 seconds
This section also needs some expansion.
UPDATE 09/12/11
Currently, I have the acid ions binding to the ASIC receptors (not yet labelled - will be labelled immediately under each structure). Then I have the neuron changing colours to represent the gradient imbalance. This is where I would love to get some feedback. Is it effective? Or not?
The reason I did not show ions passing through the bilayer is that I had already established/introduced H+, which for the purpose of clarity, has been blown up by a lot. To now introduce other ions at that scale would be difficult because they wouldn't be able to flow through all that easily (they would fit through channel). And now, suppose that we make them small dots of light flowing through the channel, then we have a discontinuity between ions and H+.
Also... How exactly does H+ bind or activate ASICs...?
No comments:
Post a Comment